Energy Bill Checking
If you switch to a different supplier or tariff, you could save hundreds of pounds on your energy bill simply by being on a lower rate.
Why Should I Switch ?
- It is really simple. Switching can be done online or by telephone
- It only takes about 10 minutes
- You could save hundreds of pounds a year
What information do I need ?
All the information you need for finding a cheaper supply is on your energy bill or you can also use your annual statement. You will need the following pieces of information:
- Your postcode
- Name of current supplier and tariff
- Payment method (e.g by direct debit or on receipt of bill)
- Payment details (if you will be paying by direct debit)
- Usage over the year ( your last 12 months usage now is included in each bill)
You can switch online using any one of the nine Ofgem accredited switching sites. The accreditation from Ofgem confirms that they are impartial.
If you do not have access to the internet, you can go through the process by phone, with no obligation. For example you can call:
ukpower on 0800 046 8048 (part of makeitcheaper.com)
Whether you switch online or by phone, the process takes five weeks. This includes 14 days cooling off period, and then 21 days for the switch to take place.
If the lowest cost provider is one you have not heard of, do not worry. All companies who sell electricity or gas must conform to very stringent market regulations set by Ofgem.
Understanding the implications of the various tariffs is complex and based on current consumption. For further information you should contact your local community energy group just to make sure that you are getting the best tariff and payment methods to meet your needs.