Many of the changes suggested in the workbook are free or very low-cost, and we’ve pulled together some offers on energy-saving devices to help you such as:
- Light Bulbs – Efficient Light in Plymouth offer 10% off all purchases of low energy light bulbs. Use the discount code ‘TTT’ at on-line checkout.
- Low-Energy Lighting Sample Kit – A wide range of sizes and shapes of bulbs for you to try out at home, including spotlights and dimmable bulbs. Available from the TTT office. Please call 01803 867 358 to check availability. We ask for a £1 donation for each day you have the equipment (to help cover purchase cost) and a £10 fully refundable deposit.
- OWL Energy Monitor – Simply and safely connects to your meter to tell you exactly how much electricity you are using at that time. Take the hand-held display around your home turning things on and off as you go. It instantly lets you know where you are using (and maybe wasting) electricity. It’s addictive! Available from the TTT office as above.
- Energy Monitor for Appliances – Energy monitor that you can use with one appliance (with removable three-pin plug at a time. For example, you can plug in your TV through this device, and it tells you how much electricity your TV is using). Available from Totnes Library on free loan if you’re a member.
- Water saving kit – South West Water currently have a special offer of a free Water Saving Kit (worth over £10.00) available for their domestic customers. Savings can be up to 72 litres per day for a household of two adults plus one child and the kit can include a Top Tips booklet and a Water Calculator to help make even more savings. To order your kit go to www.southwestwater.co.uk/freekit.
- Water Butts – South West Water in partnership with Even Greener offer a choice of water butts and composters at www.sww2u.com
- Car Share – Carsharedevon is a free matching service which puts people travelling in the same direction, or to a similar destination, in contact with each other. They share the journey and the costs, either taking turns with the driving, or giving someone a lift in exchange for a contribution to fuel. The scheme is free and open to non-drivers. Simply register your details on the website and the data base will automatically identify possible matches. It is then up to you to contact the travelling companions you choose, via email, and arrange to meet at a convenient location. Remember to bring ID with you.
- Compost Bins – South Hams District Council great value compost bins for home use. They cost £12 (usually costs £20-30) from the SHDC Follaton Offices.
If you find any of these offers are no longer available, or you have suggestions to add to the list, please let us know.